My mental health blog

PLEASE VISIT MY CURRENT BLOG ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

iwillhealthee.blogspot.com

Monday, October 3, 2016

Joy to the World

October 3rd, 2016

Tomorrow I'm turning 22! WHAT? It doesn't feel real. It's also crazy that during my last birthday, I was still training. So much has happened since then!

There are few things in this world that I love more than General Conference!

I loved that missionary work was a big theme this time! Now that I'm on my mission I know that members really do need to be more involved in this important work. And Mami and Papi you're doing a great job at sharing the gospel! A little while ago we asked each of our leaders advice on how to find new people to teach, and one piece of advice regarding members was, whenever you ask members who needs our message and they say they don't know anyone, have them read the page in Preach My Gospel that's titled "Talk with Everyone." Any time you are at the grocery store or getting a haircut or whatever, you can strike up a conversation with someone and every time, something that they say can lead to you sharing a gospel principle.

I wrote a bunch of questions before Conference and literally with the first talk by President Uchtdorf my questions were all answered. He is the best!

I really loved that another recurring theme in General Conference was joy. I really needed to hear those messages because lately I've felt like the adversary has been attacking me a lot, and I haven't been feeling joy as abundantly as I have before. For some reason whenever I prayed I felt like I couldn't concentrate, and for a few nights I had nightmares that had me waking up feeling awful. So yesterday in between the conference sessions I just started bawling because I didn't know what to do to feel joy again. I was really hoping that the last session would help me, and sure enough, I felt like that entire session was just for me. I also asked for a priesthood blessing afterwards and I was filled with an indescribable peace which stuck with me for the rest of the day, and I still feel it now. I was told during the blessing to "put on the whole armor of God" each day. I know that I have been endowed with power to send the enemy away.

I very much enjoyed Elder Bednar's talk on knowing about the Savior vs. knowing the Savior; believing in Him vs. believing Him. Elder Cornish's talk on being "good enough" was also very moving to me. It's just all so good! This was probably one of my favorite General Conferences ever.

And yes, watching those missionaries sing as a choir was so incredibly touching to me. I'm so grateful to be a part of "so great a cause."

So this week we had a zone training on Thursday and it was so good, as usual. My companion and I were asked to give a training on asking questions and listening. We started off by reading a scripture I found in 1 Corinthians 13:1 which basically says that if we don't have charity, the words we speak are just meaningless noise. For me, I've noticed that it is like a million times easier to teach the gospel when you take the time to listen to the person first. When I don't know anything about them, then it feels like I'm just saying things. It's so important to ask inspired questions and to really listen to understand, not listen to respond.

During the zone training we also discussed 3 Nephi 11; about why the people didn't listen the first time the Spirit spoke to them. I liked what Elder Ashcraft said about how receiving the Holy Ghost is a choice; like how Elder Bednar described it "we can be bring the Spirit unto the heart but not into the heart" of the people we teach. He explained that when we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, we are told to "receive" it, meaning that we can also choose to reject it. That is so deep!

This week we had a lesson with our new convert, and the ward missionaries have been helping us with her new member lessons. This week it was Brother Neely who came with us to visit her, and he was so cute! He's only been a member for like a year and he was nervous about sharing his testimony but he did such an awesome job! I'm so happy for him. Tomorrow I will be having my birthday dinner with his family; they are my favorite!

I discovered a lot about myself this week. Sister Miller was telling me that I'm not shy...which was really weird, but yeah, I guess I can be really bold when it comes to sharing the gospel. I also had the chance to talk with President Palmer this week, and he was telling me that I have the gift of being comfortable around guys, while my companion has the skill of being comfortable around women. That's one reason we work so well as a team! He said that I was really outgoing with guys, while other sisters aren't. Um, what. I don't know, I've just never considered myself to be "not shy" and "outgoing" so that's cool! 

I realize that I was able to help befriend the elders in this district and make preparation days more fun, since before I came here the sisters wouldn't do anything, but nowadays we play games and stuff with the elders and it's the best!

I think Sister Neely described me best when she said I am "quiet but crazy," haha.

Hey so I received some cute letters from some primary kids: Brigham Moses, Isaac, and Sam. That was so nice of them!

I know without a doubt that this is the true Church and that this is God's kingdom here on earth! I'm so grateful that I get to contribute to God's kingdom as a missionary! I get to bring joy into people's lives, which joy comes from our Savior Jesus Christ!

I love you, I love you, I love you!!

-Hermana Aburto 


Gozo para el mundo

3 de octubre de 2015

¡Mañana cumplo 22 años! ¡No puede ser! Como que no me la creo, y también ni parece que en mi cumpleaños pasado apenas estaba en entrenamiento, y desde entonces ha sucedido mucho.

¡Pocas cosas en la vida me gustan más que la conferencia general!

¡Me encantó que la obra misional fue un tema importante! Ahora que estoy en la misión sé que los miembros en verdad tienen que participar más de lleno en esta importante obra. Mami y papi: ¡ustedes están haciendo una buena labor al tratar de compartir el Evangelio! Hace un tiempo, pedimos consejos a todos nuestros líderes sobre cómo buscar más personas para enseñar, y uno de esos consejos fue que siempre que se les pregunte a los miembros si conocen a alguien que necesite escuchar nuestro mensaje y digan que no conocen a nadie, se les pida que lean una sección de Predicad Mi Evangelio que se titula “Hable con todos”. Siempre que uno va a la tienda, a cortarse el cabello o a cualquier parte, uno puede comenzar una conversación con la gente y lo más seguro es que en algún momento dirá algo que dé pie para compartir un principio del Evangelio.

Antes de la conferencia escribí un montón de preguntas, y prácticamente con el discurso del presidente Uchtdorf, que fue el primero en hablar, recibí todas mis respuestas. ¡Él es el mero mero!

También me encantó que el gozo fue otro de los temas recurrentes. De veras que necesitaba escuchar esos mensajes, porque últimamente he sentido mucho los ataques del adversario y no he sentido el gozo tan abundantemente como antes. Por alguna razón, siempre que oraba sentía como que no podía concentrarme y hubo noches en las que tuve pesadillas y me despertaba sintiéndome muy mal. Así que ayer entre una y otra sesión de la conferencia simplemente me puse a llorar porque no sabía qué hacer para sentir gozo nuevamente. Entonces tenía la esperanza de que la última sesión me sirviera, y así fue, de hecho sentí como que toda la sesión fue dirigida a mí. Después de la conferencia pedí una bendición del sacerdocio y eso me llenó de una paz indescriptible que se quedó conmigo el resto del día y todavía la siento ahorita. En la bendición se me dijo que me pusiera toda la armadura de Dios todos los días. Sé que he sido investida con poder para hacer que el enemigo se aleje.

También disfruté mucho el discurso del élder Bednar sobre la diferencia que hay entre saber acerca del Salvador y llegar a conocer al Salvador, y entre creer en Él y creerle a Él. También el discurso del élder Cornish sobre ser “lo suficientemente bueno” me llegó mucho. ¡Todos los discursos estuvieron buenísimos! Quizá ésta haya sido mi conferencia general favorita hasta ahora;

y, pues sí, ver a todos esos misioneros cantar en el coro fue sumamente conmovedor. Siento mucho agradecimiento de ser parte de esta gran causa.

La semana pasada tuvimos capacitación de zona y, como de costumbre, estuvo muy bien. A mi compañera y a mí se nos pidió que diéramos una capacitación sobre cómo hacer preguntas y cómo escuchar. Para comenzar, leímos el pasaje que está en 1 Corintios 13:1 que en sí dice que, si no tenemos caridad, cualquier cosa que digamos no es más que ruido. Yo me he dado cuenta de que es mil veces más fácil enseñar el Evangelio si uno se toma el tiempo de escuchar primero a la persona. Si no sé nada de la persona, entonces se siente como que nomás estoy hablando sin ton ni son. Así que es importante hacer preguntas inspiradas y de veras escuchar para comprender en lugar de escuchar para responder.

También hablamos de lo que dice en 3 Nefi 11, del porqué el pueblo no escuchó la primera vez que el Espíritu habló. Me gustó lo que dijo un élder de apellido Ashcraft de que recibir el Espíritu Santo es una elección, así como mencionó el élder Bednar que “podemos invitar al Espíritu al corazón pero no podemos hacer que entre en el corazón” de las personas que enseñamos. También explicó que cuando recibimos ese don se nos dice: “recibe el Espíritu Santo”, lo cual significa que también podemos optar por rechazarlo. ¡Ese concepto es muy profundo!

Durante la semana tuvimos una lección con nuestra nueva conversa y los misioneros de barrio nos han ayudado a darle las lecciones para miembros nuevos. Esta vez le tocó ir con nosotras al hermano Neely y se portó muy lindo. Él solo lleva poco más de un año de miembro y estaba nervioso con la idea de compartir su testimonio, pero lo hizo muy bien, y me siento muy contenta por él. Mañana voy a celebrar mi cumpleaños con una cena en la casa de los Neely, ¡ellos son mi familia favorita!

También, durante la semana, aprendí muchas cosas de mí. Por ejemplo, la Hna. Miller me dijo que no soy tímida… lo cual se me hizo raro, pero pues sí, supongo que a veces soy muy franca si se trata de compartir el Evangelio. También tuve la oportunidad de hablar con el presidente Palmer y me dijo que tengo el don de sentirme cómoda al hablar con hombres, mientras que mi compañera tiene la capacidad de sentirse cómoda al hablar con mujeres. ¡Esa es una de las razones por las cuales trabajamos muy bien juntas! Me dijo que con los muchachos soy bastante extrovertida, el cual no es el caso con otras hermanas. ¿A poco? Pues quién sabe, pero me cuesta verme a mí misma como una persona “que no es tímida” y “extrovertida”. 

Lo que sí sé es que he podido ayudar a estrechar los lazos de amistad con los élderes del distrito y a que los días de preparación sean más divertidos, ya que antes de que yo viniera aquí las hermanas nunca hacían nada, pero ahora nos ponemos a jugar con los élderes, ¡y es bien padre!

Creo que la Hna. Neely me describió muy bien cuando dijo que “soy callada, pero llevo la música por dentro”.

Por cierto que recibí unas cartas muy lindas de algunos niños de la Primaria, de Brigham Moses, Isaac y Sam, fue un detalle muy lindo de su parte.

Sé sin duda que ésta es la Iglesia verdadera y que éste es el reino de Dios en la tierra. Siento agradecimiento de poder contribuir al reino en calidad de misionera, ya que puedo llevar gozo a la vida de las personas y ese gozo viene del Salvador, Jesucristo.

¡Los quiero mucho, mucho, mucho!

-Hermana Aburto