My mental health blog

PLEASE VISIT MY CURRENT BLOG ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

iwillhealthee.blogspot.com

Monday, October 24, 2016

Member-Missionary Work is the Best!

October 24th, 2016

Happy Birthday Mami!  

In my life, I love you more! 


It's been a really good week! Sister Talbot and I laugh together a lot, and it's been really fun.

One day my bike chain fell off and we were waiting on the street for our district leader to come help us fix my bike, but then there was this guy across the street who started talking to us and then offered to help me with my bike. He was this cute 24-year-old guy and we started telling him about the Restoration and the Book of Mormon, and he had some good questions. At one point though he asked, "What is your stance on dating and marriage?" And I thought, "I know where he is going with this..." but yet I asked what his address and phone number were so that we could send the Young Single Adult missionaries over to him, and so when I asked for his information he was like, "Yeah we could hang out." And we were like, ummm no and then I offered to say a prayer with him before we left and he agreed. I asked what he would like us to pray for and he just straight up said, "Could you pray for Sister Talbot to go on a date with me?" Oh my gosh it was hilarious. #FlirtToConvert haha I really hope that the YSA missionaries have success with him...

Sister Talbot has been trying to learn Spanish with me, and when we went on exchanges on Saturday we realized that the Spanish she has been learning hasn't helped. Without me there, she didn't know how to introduce herself as a missionary, she only knows how to say things like, "What is your favorite color?" Haha. We'll see if I can teach her some more. She understands Spanish very very well.

Also, Sister Hogan is my Sister Training Leader now! I'm so proud of her; that's my trainee right there, haha! It was fun to go on exchanges with her.  

This week we got to have interviews with President and Sister Palmer. I just absolutely love talking with President Palmer, he is the best! He told me that, much like myself, the Savior served quietly--without drawing attention to Himself. That's pretty cool! He also told me that the people we teach need to have an understanding that the Atonement is just for them. That is one reason investigators don't progress--they don't understand the Atonement and thus fail to recognize how the Gospel will help them. I thought that was really cool! I've said it before but I truly feel like my knowledge of the Atonement is the most important principle I can teach about.

So even though we're still having success finding potential investigators on our own by knocking on doors, yesterday morning I was feeling a little overwhelmed. I yearned for members to help us out in finding new people to teach, so that we can find more solid investigators. During ward council, I mentioned that when I was serving in Ceres, when a member would give us a referral, we would take that member to go contact that referral with us, instead of us just knocking on the door as two strangers. It was so awesome to be able to do that! We were able to get into homes we wouldn't otherwise have been able to enter. Here in this ward though, sometimes people would send us to people's homes anonymously, saying, "Don't tell them we sent you!" I really want to help members get over that fear of sharing the gospel. 

Last night when we had dinner with the Mitchell's, Sister Mitchell gave us a referral who is a friend of hers and I asked her, "When can you come with us to contact her?" and to my surprise she agreed to come with us this week! Heck. Yeah.

Then we also went to the Andersen's to talk about their friend, who I mentioned to you a few weeks ago. We still haven't set up a set appointment with her, so we asked the Andersen's if they could invite her to her home and have us teach her there, and they said yes! That is so exciting! Member-missionary work is the best!

Last night's dinner was so fun by the way. Sister Talbot and I really admired the relationship between this young couple in their 30's. We were both like, "I want a relationship like that!" They were just so cute in the way that they would mess with each other and be friends and be so in love. This ward is full of families like that, and it truly is by far the most spiritually strong ward that I've served in my mission so far.

I am forever grateful to be serving my Heavenly Father as a missionary!!

Love you!

-Hermana Aburto

My comp and me


The great outdoors!



¡No hay nada como la obra misional hecha por los miembros!

24 de octubre de 2015

¡Feliz cumpleaños mami!  

In my life, I love you more!

¡Ha sido una semana buenísima! La Hna. Talbot y yo nos reímos mucho y nos la hemos pasado bien divertido.

El otro día, a mi bicicleta se le salió la cadena, así que estuvimos paradas un rato en la calle esperando al líder de distrito para que nos ayudara. Entonces un muchacho que estaba del otro lado de la calle se nos acercó, comenzó a hablarnos y nos ofreció ayuda. Era un tipo simpático como de 24 años, entonces comenzamos a hablarle de la Restauración y del Libro de Mormón, y él nos hizo varias preguntas muy buenas. Sin embargo, en un momento nos preguntó: “¿Cuál es su postura en cuanto a salir con muchachos y al matrimonio?”. Entonces yo pensé en mis adentros: “Ya sé para dónde va este individuo”. Con todo, le pedí su dirección y su teléfono para que le mandáramos a los misioneros de los jóvenes adultos solteros, pero me dijo: “sí, se los doy para que salgamos por ahí”. Entonces nosotras le explicamos que no podíamos salir nomás a valer, pero le preguntamos si podíamos orar con él antes de irnos y el accedió. Le pregunté si había algo por lo que quisiera que oráramos y sin vacilar respondió: “¿podría orar para que la Hna. Talbot salga conmigo?”. ¡Madre santísima! Fue bien gracioso. #CoquetearParaConvertir espero que a los misioneros de los JAS les vaya bien con él.

La hermana Talbot ha estado aprendiendo español conmigo, pero el sábado que tuvimos intercambios nos dimos cuenta de que lo que ha aprendido no ha servido de nada. Sin mi ayuda, ni siquiera supo como presentarse como misionera, y todo lo que puede decir son cosas como: “¿Cuál es tu colour favorrritou?”. ¡Qué chistoso! Ya veremos si le puedo enseñar un poco más de español, aunque lo entiende bastante bien.

Por cierto que ahora mi líder entrenadora es la Hna. Hogan, me siento muy orgullosa de ella, ya que se puede decir que ella es mi discípula. Fue bien padre salir con ella en los intercambios.  

También, la semana pasada tuvimos entrevistas con el presidente y la hermana Palmer. Simplemente me encanta hablar con el presidente, él es el mero mero. Una cosa que me dijo fue que el Salvador prestaba servicio más o menos como yo lo hago, ya que Él no hacía que la atención se centrara en Su persona. ¡Qué concepto tan buena onda! También me dijo que las personas a las que enseñamos necesitan entender que la Expiación es para ellas. Esa es una de las razones por las cuales los investigadores no progresan, ya que no comprenden lo que es la Expiación y por lo tanto no saben reconocer la forma en que el Evangelio puede ayudarles. ¡Eso también me pareció algo muy padre! Sé que ya lo he dicho antes, pero de veras que siento que el conocimiento que he adquirido sobre la Expiación es el principio más importante que puedo enseñar.

Por otra parte, con todo y que seguimos teniendo éxito encontrando investigadores al tocar puertas por nuestra cuenta, ayer en la mañana me sentía un poco abrumada. Sentí un enorme deseo de que los miembros nos ayudaran a buscar a más personas a las cuales enseñar y así encontrar a investigadores más fuertes. Entonces, en la reunión de consejo de barrio hablé de cuando estuve en Ceres y que cada vez que un miembro nos daba una referencia, el mismo miembro nos acompañaba a visitar a esa persona, en lugar de que nosotras llegáramos a la puerta como dos perfectas desconocidas. Fue bien padre poder trabajar de esa forma, ya que pudimos entrar en hogares a los cuales nunca hubiéramos podido entrar de otra manera. Sin embargo, en este barrio los miembros nos mandan a visitar a personas de forma anónima y nos dicen: “No le digan que yo las mandé”. A mí me gustaría ayudar a los miembros a vencer ese temor de compartir el Evangelio. 

Anoche cenamos con la familia Mitchell y la Hna. Mitchell nos dio una referencia de una amiga de ella. Entonces le pregunté: “¿Cuándo podría ir con nosotras a visitar a esa persona?”. Para mi sorpresa, aceptó ir con nosotras esta semana. ¡Guau! ¡Qué bien!

También fuimos con los Andersen para hablar de una amiga que tienen y de quien les hablé hace unas semanas. Todavía no hemos podido fijar una cita con ella, así que pedimos a los Andersen si la podrían invitar a la casa de ellos para que nosotras le enseñemos allí y estuvieron de acuerdo. ¡Qué emoción! ¡No hay nada como la obra misional hecha por los miembros!

Por cierto que en la cena de anoche la pasamos muy bien. La Hna. Talbot y yo admiramos mucho la relación que tiene esa pareja que tiene como treinta y tantos años. Las dos coincidimos en que queremos tener un matrimonio como el de ellos. Es muy lindo ver la manera en que bromean, cómo se llevan entre ellos y cómo se quieren. En este barrio hay muchas familias con esas cualidades y en serio que es, por mucho, el barrio espiritualmente más fuerte en el que he servido hasta ahora.

¡Estaré agradecida por siempre de poder servir a mi Padre Celestial como misionera!

Los quiero,

-Hermana Aburto

Mi compañera y yo