My mental health blog

PLEASE VISIT MY CURRENT BLOG ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

iwillhealthee.blogspot.com

Monday, December 21, 2015

Plot Twist!!

December 20th, 2015
Transfers took place on Tuesday, and so I went to Modesto to meet my new companion Hna. Carpenter, but then I had a meeting with President Palmer where he told me that my new companion would actually be Hna. Rodas! So I am reunited with my MTC companion!
And I have a car again!!
So I am serving in the Modesto 12th Spanish branch. This branch is so close to becoming a ward. However, we are not the only companionship serving in this ward. We are one of 3 companionships! Hna Carpenter and Hna Waters are here, along with Elder Griffin and Elder Williams. We are all going to work together to make this branch a ward.
I love the Modesto 12th Spanish branch. The people are so warm and friendly. Our favorite members so far are the Chavez. They are super funny. Their first names are Paul and Esther and on their Christmas card they put "Paulyesther." They also let us do our laundry at their house today (I live in an apartment now).
The branch had a Christmas party and at the end they played some music for dancing, and they played "Como Te Voy a Olvidar" and it made me think of you, haha. We had pozole! I loved it.
Last night the branch put on a play about the Spirit World. The people in the audience were given cards that looked like temple name cards, with the name of a person. The actors were all dressed in white and they represented the people in the Spirit World. The actors would go up to the pulpit and say something like, "My name is Guadalupe, I was born on Feb 3 1787, and my husband and I passed away and left our children behind, but we learned that families can be together forever. Please do our work for us. Does anyone have my name?" So someone in the audience who had that name would stand up and the Spirit person would go sit with them and thank them for doing their work. I felt the Spirit so strongly during this presentation. Also....I was the interpreter!!! I translated from Spanish to English for the people who don't speak Spanish. The missionaries do the interpreting every Sunday during sacrament, too, so it's possible I will do the interpreting more.
My piano playing has been a big advantage already, too.
Also this is really important. There is this awesome Chinese restaurant here in Modesto which I need to take you to. It's called East China Town restaurant. The chow mien and teriyaki chicken is delicious!
I have had champurrado, pupusas, horchata, and other good Hispanic food. I'm so happy!!
I will Skype with you on Christmas Day, at around 4pm or something. If Skype doesn't work, I will call you. I'm going to get a calling card from the store today, just in case I need to call you.
Love
Hermana Aburto
Look at this keychain I got for my hot sauce!!!!! Best purchase I've made yet.


The pic of me and Sister Hogan makes me laugh because one time we were calling Elder Moreno and we told him how biking at night was brutal since it was so cold, and he asked us, "Do you have hot hands?" And we were like, what the heck is he talking about, our hands are not hot and then he was like "Hot Hands are hand-warmers that you can buy at the store." So we got them and ever since then we tease him by asking "Do you have hot hands?"


I really miss my old zone! But I'll be OK here with all these new Elders and Sisters.



These are all the missionaries in my district: Elder Williams, Elder Chambers, District Leader Elder Griffin, Elder Griffin (yes there are two Elder Griffins--to distinguish them, the District Leader is the "cool" Elder Griffin haha) Sister Rodas and I, Sister Waters, and Sister Carpenter. 


¡La historia da un giro!
20 de diciembre de 2015
El martes tuvimos cambios y tuve que trasladarme a Modesto para conocer a mi nueva compañera, la hermana Carpenter, pero luego tuve una entrevista con el president Palmer y éste me dijo que mi al final me quedaría con la hermana Rodas, ¡así que me volví a juntar con mi compañera del CCM!
¡Además, otra vez ando en coche!
Estoy sirviendo en la rama Modesto 12 que es en español. La rama ya está a punto de ser barrio. Sin embargo, no somos el único compañerismo que servimos en esa unidad. ¡Hay tres compañerismos en total! Estamos con la hermana Carpenter y la hermana Waters, junto con los élderes Griffin y Williams. Las tres parejas le vamos a echar ganas para que la rama se haga barrio.
Me encanta estar en la rama Modesto 12. Los miembros son cálidos y amables. Nuestros miembros favoritos hasta ahora son los Chávez, son súper simpáticos. Se llaman Paul y Esther y en su tarjeta de Navidad se pusieron “Paulyesther”. Ellos también nos dejan que lavemos nuestra ropa en su casa (ahora estoy en un departamento).
La rama tuvo su fiesta de Navidad y hacia el final de la fiesta pusieron música para bailar. Entre otras canciones pusieron la de “Cómo te voy a olvidar” y me acordé de ustedes, ja, ja. ¡También dieron pozole y me encantó!
Anoche, en la rama presentaron una obra sobre el tema del mundo de los espíritus. A las personas del público se les dieron tarjetas que se parecían a las que se llevan al templo y las cuales tenían nombres de personas. Los actores estaban vestidos de blanco y representaban a personas que estaban en el mundo de los espíritus. Los actores iban al púlpito y decían algo así como “Me llamo Guadalupe, nací el 3 de febrero de 1787. Mi esposo y yo fallecimos y dejamos a nuestros hijos, pero luego nos enteramos de que las familias pueden vivir juntas para siempre. Por favor, hagan la obra por nosotros. ¿Alguien tiene mi nombre?”. Entonces, la persona del público que tenía ese nombre se ponía de pie y la persona del mundo de los espíritus se iba a sentar con ella y le daba las gracias por haber hecho la obra en su favor. Durante la presentación pude sentir el Espíriu muy fuerte. Además…¡estuve de intérprete! Hice la interpretación de español a inglés para las personas que no hablaban español. Los misioneros interpretan cada domingo en la reunión sacramental, así que es posible que me vuelva a tocar hacerlo.
También, el hecho de que toque el piano ha sido una gran ventaja.
Otra cosa muy importante: Aquí en Modesto hay un restaurante chino al que los tengo que llevar un día, se lllama East China Town. El chow mein y el pollo teriyaki son riquísimos.
Ya he tomado y comido champurrado, pupusas, horchata y otras cosas de la cocina hispana. ¡Estoy feliz!
En Navidad podremos hablar por Skype más o menos como a las 4 pm. Si el Skype no funciona, por ahí los llamo. Hoy voy a ir a la tienda a comprar una tarjeta por si acaso los tenga que llamar.
Cariñosamente,
Hermana Aburto
¡Vean el llavero que me compré para llevar salsa picante a todas partes! Es la mejor compra que he hecho hasta ahora.
La foto en la que estoy con la hermana Hogan me causa gracia porque una vez que le llamamos al élder Moreno y le dijimos que al andar en bicicleta en la noche se siente mucho frío, él nos quiso preguntar si teníamos esos sobresitos para calentar las manos, pero preguntó “Do you have hot hands?”, (lo cual suena como: “¿tienen las manos atractivas?”). Nosotras nos quedamos como tontas, porque no sabíamos a qué se refería y entonces nos dijo: “Hot Hands son los calientamanos que venden en las tiendas”. Así que nos compramos algunos y desde entonces lo molestamos preguntándole: “¿tiene las manos atractivas?”.
¡Extraño mi otra zona! Sé que voy a estar bien aquí con todos estos élderes y hermanas.

Estos somos los misioneros del distrito: Élderes Williams, Chambers, Griffin (líder de distrito), Griffin (hay dos Griffins, el líder de distrito es el “cool”), la hermana Rodas, yo, la hermana Waters y la hermana Carpenter.