My mental health blog

PLEASE VISIT MY CURRENT BLOG ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

iwillhealthee.blogspot.com

Friday, October 2, 2015

First week on the field

September 28th, 2015
Hi everyone!
I'm glad to hear you are doing OK and I will be praying for our family members who are in need.
The day that we met our trainers was a magical day. We were all sitting in the chapel, the new missionaries on one side, the trainers on the other side. President Palmer would call us greenies up one by one and would tell us who our trainer was. Interestingly enough, most of us could feel who our trainer was before it was announced. I could feel a connection to my trainer before I met her. And one of the trainers stood up to meet his trainee before President called his name! President Palmer was like, "Why am I even here if you already know who your trainer is?" We could all feel the Spirit so strong that day.
My trainer is Sister Losaline Tu'atonga and she is the absolute best. She is so funny and cheerful and super friendly. She is originally from American Samoa but grew up in Honolulu, Hawaii. I am actually in a trio companionship right now. Sister Krysta Smith is also my companion and she is from American Falls, Idaho. These sisters do not speak Spanish, so for whatever reason the Lord felt that I needed to be trained in English. I could be training for at least 6 weeks but it's possible I will train fro 12 weeks.
Sister Tu'atonga's 21st birthday was on Thursday. It was funny though because all day on Wednesday she told us it was her birthday, and then she realized it was not her birthday after all. "It's tomorrow!" To celebrate, we had pizza at a Polynesian family's home. This family was very kind, and they had just gotten sealed in the temple the week before. The father told us about the "brown hymn book" which is not an actual book, but it is a collection of songs that Polynesians have written while they were serving missions. You can find these songs on YouTube.
I am currently serving in Tracy in the Sycamore Ward.
My mission's motto is "We Are One With The Savior In Doing The Will Of The Father"
I truly enjoyed Women's session of General Conference. I especially loved how Sister Wixom spoke of our divine nature, and Sister Reeves spoke so powerfully when she said something like, she doesn't know why we have trials but one day when we receive our great reward, we will ask Heavenly Father, "Is that all that was required?" Someone once said that no one will make it to the celestial kingdom and say that it was not worth it. It was so fun to see Mami up there! My mission president, President Palmer, kept telling me that Mami waved at me. I knew that Mami was thinking of me.
Sadly I have been sick for the past few days, and I still feel sick today. I think it's just allergies but I feel really bad. It has not been fun to be at home in bed instead of doing missionary work.
But I did go proselyting briefly for two days before getting sick. On the street, my temporary companion Hna. Arevalo (sorry I spelled her name wrong in my last email) found a man who told us that "the Bible clearly says that if you believe in Christ and that he died for us then we will be saved." My companion and I were smart enough not to argue with him, so I told him "We believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ can bless our lives and we follow the commandments because we love Jesus." And he agreed with that, and he listened to what we had to say, and he accepted a pamphlet on the Restoration. I highly doubt I will ever see him again, since I have since moved to Tracy, but it truly feels good to share the Gospel with other people.
The next time I went tracting with Sisters Tu'atonga and Smith, and we did not have much success. We were only able to visit one inactive sister. But on days like those, I will remember Alma 8:15 which is where Alma is feeling sorrowful since people rejected him, and an angel tells him to cheer up since he is keeping the commandments, and that is reason enough to rejoice.
Since we don't have a temple in our mission, we will not be attending the temple at all. President Palmer spoke to a member of the Seventy about this, and this Seventy told him, "You are called to save the living. Others will be doing the work to save the dead." That is an amazing answer so I definitely cannot complain about not going to the temple.
Yesterday my companions and I played "True Confessions" which is the game Jimmy Fallon played where you write a lie and a truth, and you read one out loud and the other two people interrogate you for a minute and then they have to guess whether you are telling a lie or the truth. It was so fun! It is a really good "get-to-know-you" type of game. Sister Tu'atonga is really good at lying, haha. My companions did not believe me when I said that I have been stung by a jellyfish. Even after the game was over they still did not believe me.
President Palmer has asked us to have a "favorite hymn of the day" every day while on the mission. I had already been doing that before coming here to Modesto, and I know that music is very powerful. I can't remember which General Authority said this, but he said that music brings the Spirit more quickly than anything besides prayer. I agree wholeheartedly with that. It's no wonder we start every meeting with a hymn and a prayer.
The "young" Brother Robinson here called me last night to tell me his parents live right by our house in Orem. I did not make the connection that he is the son of our beloved Brother Robinson until this morning. That is so cool!
Here are some pictures. In the MTC I found the picture President Palmer and his wife, as well as Sister Stevens and her husband.







I love anything that is Toy Story related :)
I am out here representing our family. The Aburto name is associated with the name of Jesus Christ.


I believe the reason Elder Bednar's talk "Character of Christ" hit me so hard is because I finally feel like I understand what it means to follow Christ's example. I know that sounds odd because that is something that has been taught in the Church over and over again, but the way that Elder Bednar described the way that Christ loves other people with such incredible selflessness was very awakening to me. I was on a spiritual "high" after watching that talk.
I'm so happy to hear that Calilis was able to bear his testimony so powerfully. I know he will be a fantastic missionary.
I love having an hour each morning to study the scriptures. It actually feels like an hour is not enough for personal study. I truly want to feast upon the words of Christ. My goal is to eventually be able to recognize any chapter of the Book of Mormon by reading the little summary at the beginning of each chapter. That way I can know exactly where any scripture is in the Book of Mormon.
On Tuesday we had a meeting at Church for all of the missionaries who have finished serving and are going home. They each bore their testimony. All of their investigators or people they have baptized were invited to this meeting. It was very sweet! Before I know it, I will be giving my farewell testimony, too.
Sister Tu'atonga's brother served in Nicaragua. Sister Tu'atonga was the one who read his call out loud when he received it. She was reading it very excitedly and said, "You have been called to serve in Ni-jah-ra-jah!" Everyone told her, "It's Nicaragua!"
We have a car, thank goodness. So I am not dying in the heat while riding a bicycle. The Lord does know me so well.
We also do NOT have iPads in the Modesto mission. I'm actually OK with that. I prefer physical scriptures instead of electronic ones.
For the record, the Modesto mission was made from the Sacramento mission and the Fresno mission.
I am happy for Elder Richard G. Scott. He has graduated from this earth life and he is reunited with Jeanine after 20 years! That is so awesome. And I am excited for the three new apostles!
The Church is true. Brother John Bytheway once said something like, if the Church were not true, God would not be sending 18 to 19-year-olds on missions because us kids on missions would have destroyed the Church a long time ago if it were not true. He also said you don't have to be a gospel scholar to be a missionary. That is true; I am only going to be teaching the most basic principles.
Hug Tule for me.
I love you so much,
-Hermana Aburto



28 de septiembre de 2015
¡Hola a todos!
Me da gusto saber que están bien y voy a orar por los integrantes de la familia que tienen necesidades.
El día que supimos quiénes serían nuestros entrenadores fue mágico. Estábamos todos sentados en la capilla y los nuevos misioneros estábamos en un lado y los entrenadores en el otro. El presidente Palmer nos llamaba a los nuevos uno por uno y nos decía quién sería nuestro entrenador. Lo interesante fue que casi todos pudimos sentir quién iba a ser nuestro entrenador antes de que nos lo dijera el presidente. Yo pude sentir una conexión con mi entrenadora antes de saber que sería ella. ¡Incluso uno de los entrenadores se levantó a presentarse con su pupilo antes de que el presidente dijera su nombre! El presidente Palmer dijo: “¿Y entonces qué estoy haciendo aquí si ya saben quién es su entrenador?”. Ese día todos sentimos el Espíritu muy fuerte.
Mi entrenadora es la Hna. Losaline Tu'atonga y es buenísima onda. Es chistosa, alegre y muy amigable. Ella es de Samoa Americana pero se crió en Honolulu, Hawai. Por ahora estoy en un compañerismo de tres misioneras. Nuestra otra compañera es la Hna. Krysta Smith y es de American Falls, Idaho. Estas hermanas no hablan español, así que por alguna razón el Señor quiso que me entrenara en inglés. Voy a recibir entrenamiento por al menos 6 semanas pero bien podrían ser hasta 12.
El jueves, la Hna. Tu'atonga cumplió 21 años. Fue chistoso porque el miércoles se la pasó diciéndonos que ese día era su cumpleaños, hasta que se dio cuenta que no era ese día. Dijo: “¡Es mañana!”. Para celebrar, comimos pizza en la casa de una familia polinesia. Es una familia muy buena que se acababa de sellar en el templo apenas la semana anterior. El padre de la familia nos contó de un “himnario color café”, el cual no es un himnario en forma de libro, más bien es una colección de himnos que los polinesios han escrito mientras han servido en misiones. Esas canciones se pueden encontrar en YouTube.
Ahorita estoy sirviendo en un pueblo que se llama Tracy en el barrio Sycamore.
El lema de esta misión es “Somos uno con el Salvador al hacer la voluntad del Padre”.
De veras que disfruté la Sesión General de Mujeres de la conferencia general. En particular, me encantó la forma en que la Hna. Wixom habló de nuestra naturaleza divina, y en la que la Hna. Reeves habló con poder cuando dijo algo así como que no sabe por qué tenemos dificultades en la vida, pero que el día en que recibamos nuestro galardón le vamos a decir a nuestro Padre Celestial: “¿Y eso era todo?”. Alguien dijo una vez que nadie que llegue al reino celestial podrá decir que no valió la pena el esfuerzo. ¡Fue muy lindo ver a mami ahí! Mi presidente de misión, el presidente Palmer, me estuvo dice y dice que mami había agitado al brazo para saludarme. Yo solo sé que mami estaba pensando en mí.
Lamentablemente he estado enferma estos días y hoy todavía me siento mal. Me imagino que es solo alergia pero me he sentido muy mal. No ha sido fácil estar en la casa en lugar de hacer obra misional.
Sí pude salir dos días por un rato a hacer proselitismo antes de enfermarme. En la calle, con mi compañera provisional, la Hna. Arévalo (lo siento, la vez pasada puse mal su nombre), encontramos a un señor que nos dijo que: "la Biblia dice claramente que, si creemos en Cristo y en que Él murió por nosotros, entonces seremos salvos”. Mi compañera y yo fuimos lo suficientemente listas para no discutir con él, y yo sólo le dije: “Creemos que el evangelio de Jesucristo puede bendecir nuestra vida y guardamos los mandamientos porque amamos a Jesús”. Él estuvo de acuerdo con eso, escuchó nuestro mensaje y aceptó un folleto de la Restauración. Dudo mucho que vuelva a ver a ese señor, ya que después me trasladaron a Tracy, lo cierto es que es una linda sensación compartir el Evangelio con los demás.
La vez siguiente salimos a tocar puertas con las Hnas. Tu'atonga y Smith, pero no nos fue muy bien. Solo pudimos visitar a una hermana que inactiva. Cada vez que tengamos días de esos, recordaré Alma 8:15, cuando Alma se siente afligido por el rechazo de la gente, pero un ángel le dice que se alegre, ya que está guardando los mandamientos y eso basta para regocijarse.
Como en esta misión no hay templo, no podremos asistir al templo en lo absoluto. El presidente Palmer habló de eso con un Setenta, y éste le dijo: “Ustedes son llamados para salvar a los vivos. Ya habrá otros que se encarguen de hacer la obra por los muertos”. Ésa fue una extraordinaria respuesta, así que no me puedo quejar en cuanto a no poder ir al templo.
Mis compañeras y yo ayer jugamos el juego “Confesiones verdaderas”, el cual es ése que consiste en escribir una mentira y una verdad sobre ti, entonces lees una de ellas en voz alta y las otras personas te interrogan por unos momentos y luego tienen que determinar si es verdad o mentira. ¡Fue bien divertido! Es un juego excelente para “romper el hielo”. ¡La Hna. Tu'atonga es bien buena para mentir! Mis compañeras no me creyeron cuando les dije que una vez me había picado una medusa. Aun después de que dejamos de jugar no me creían.
El presidente Palmer nos ha pedido que tengamos un himno favorito todos los días mientras estemos en la misión. Antes de venir a la misión yo ya estaba haciendo eso y conozco el poder que tiene la música. No recuerdo qué Autoridad General dijo esto, pero dijo que la música invita al Espíritu con más rapidez que ninguna otra cosa aparte la oración. Coincido de todo corazón con ese concepto. Es por algo que todas las reuniones las comenzamos con un himno y una oración.
El Hno. Robinson, “el joven”, me llamó anoche para decirme que sus padres viven cerca de la casa en Orem. No fue hasta hoy en la mañana que me cayó el veinte de que él es hijo de nuestro querido Hno. Robinson. ¡Qué buena onda!
Por aquí mando una fotos. En el CCM encontré la foto del presidente Palmer y su esposa, y también la de la Hna. Stevens y su esposo.
¡Me encanta todo lo que tenga que ver con Toy Story!
Estoy aquí representando a la familia. El apellido Aburto está relacionado con el nombre de Jesucristo.
Lo siento por seguir enviando mensajes, pero es que todavía tenemos tiempo, ¡entonces por qué no seguir escribiendo! Solo puedo adjuntar dos fotos por cada mensaje, por eso estoy mandando muchos.
Creo que el motivo por el cual el discurso del élder Bednar que se llama “El carácter de Cristo” me llegó tanto es porque creo que por fin entiendo lo que significa seguir el ejemplo de Cristo. Sé que suena medio raro, porque es algo que en la Iglesia se nos enseña una y otra vez, pero la forma en que el élder Bednar describe la manera en que Cristo ama a las personas con un increíble desinterés me hizo pensar muchísimo. Después de ver el discurso como que quedé en “trance” espiritual.
Me da gusto saber que Calilis pudo testificar con mucho poder. Sé que el va a ser un fantástico misionero.
Me encanta tener una hora cada mañana para estudiar las Escrituras. De hecho, siento como que una hora no es suficiente. En verdad que tengo el deseo de deleitarme en las palabras de Cristo. Mi meta es que con el tiempo pueda reconocer cualquier capítulo del Libro de Mormón con tan solo leer el resumen que hay al principio de cada uno de ellos. De esa manera podré saber exactamente dónde se encuentra cualquier versículo del Libro de Mormón.
El martes tuvimos una reunión en la capilla en la que estaban todos los misioneros que ya terminaban su servicio y ya iban a regresar a su casa. Cada uno de ellos compartió su testimonio. A la reunión se invitó a todos sus investigadores o personas a las que bautizaron. ¡Fue bien lindo! Antes de que me dé cuenta, yo también estaré compartiendo mi testimonio de despedida.
El hermano de la Hna. Tu'atonga sirvió su misión en Nicaragua. La Hna. Tu'atonga fue la que leyó en voz alta el llamamiento cuando él lo recibió. Lo leyó con mucha emoción y dijo: “Se le ha llamado a servir en Ni-jah-ra-jah”. Entonces todo le dijeron al unísono: “¡Se dice Nicaragua!”.
¡Ah, sí! Se me olvidó decirles que, por suerte, tenemos coche, así que no tengo que andar en bicicleta ni morirme del calor. El Señor me conoce bien.
Tampoco tenemos iPads en la Misión Modesto y en realidad no tengo problema con eso ya que prefiero tener las Escrituras impresas en lugar de electrónicas.
Por cierto, la Misión Modesto se formó con un pedazo de la Misión Sacramento y otro de la Misión Fresno.
Estoy feliz de que el élder Richard G. Scott ya se haya graduado de esta vida terrenal y que después de 20 años se haya reunido con Jeanine. ¡Qué buena onda! ¡También siento emoción por saber quiénes serán los tres nuevos apóstoles!
La Iglesia es verdadera. El Hno. John Bytheway una vez dijo que si la Iglesia no fuera verdadera, Dios no enviaría a jóvenes de 18 y 19 años, ya que nosotros los que salimos al campo ya la habríamos destruido hace mucho tiempo. También dijo que no es necesario ser un erudito del Evangelio para ser misionero. Eso es cierto; yo solo tengo que enseñar los principios más básicos.
Le dan un abrazo a Tule de mi parte.
Los quiero mucho,
Hermana Aburto