My mental health blog

PLEASE VISIT MY CURRENT BLOG ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

iwillhealthee.blogspot.com

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

No, pues wow

June 20th, 2016


Happy Father's Day Papi!!!!! You are the absolute best and I love you to the moon and back!!!!

This week we were going to meet with one of our investigators who wants to get baptized, but can't yet because supposedly her boyfriend that she's living with doesn't want to get married and he wasn't interested in the Church. We had never met him until this week, when we knocked on their door and he answered. She was sick, so we asked if we could have a lesson with him and his kids and at first he said "No, I'm going to take a shower." So we started having a lesson with the kids instead, and a few minutes later he came back out and actually listened. He was paying attention as we talked about the Restoration and he really seemed interested. After walking away from that lesson, we were both in shock with the miracle that he actually listened to us. I really truly hope that in the future we will be able to meet with both him and his girlfriend, and that they will be willing to get married and baptized soon. 

On Friday, Elder David F. Evans of the Quorum of the Seventy came and spoke to us missionaries, and we all got to shake his hand. He is so cool! I loved his message so much. He spoke about repentance, and about how we as missionaries should teach people how to repent. That's so true, because usually as missionaries, repentance is just a quick principle that we teach in lesson 3, but it truly is central to our purpose, and during a baptismal interview, people should truly feel like they have repented of their past sins. We need to put so much more emphasis on that all the time. I don't know how to describe it really, but they way that Elder Evans explained it just made so much sense and I think every missionary in this mission may feel like I do, that we've been preaching repentance wrong this entire time. I'm really hoping to be better at that since it's so central to our purpose. 

I also liked that he said investigators should always start reading the Book of Mormon from the beginning, so that they can understand the story. And 1 Nephi 1 is a great chapter because in the first few verses it talks about prophets, prayer, and reading a book to feel the Spirit. That's a perfect chapter for people to read after hearing about the Restoration. Also, he challenged us to challenge our investigators with long reading assignments. We used to only give out a chapter at most, but we try to assign multiple chapters now. President Eyring said that "We should read long enough to feel the Spirit, and then a little more." That is so brilliant!!

I have another awesome story that happened this week: So we went to visit our recent convert Mabel, who is 21 years old and she just barely got baptized like last month. We've been wanting her and her sister to come with us as we visit investigators, and Mabel finally said yes. She took us to her friend's house, and she thought of this friend Marisa because one of her friends just passed away. So we went to visit Marisa and at first it was obvious that she felt kind of awkward, but as Mabel shared her testimony, that helped Marisa open up to us. We taught her about the Plan of Salvation, and Marisa didn't know that after this life, we will still have the same personality, and we're going to be with the people that we know and love. We're excited to work with her more, and this just goes to show that members really are so crucial to missionary work. If Mabel had not come with us, then it probably wouldn't have gone as well. She is so awesome!!

My companion has also been really good at asking everyone for referrals, and we've received so many of them ever since that zone conference with Elder Evans. No, pues wow. Seriously, he motivated us to be much better missionaries than before. He is the bomb!

I know the Church is true. I know that my Savior lives and that He loves me. I'm so grateful for the chance I have to grow in my faith in Him while serving Him as a missionary. I'm thankful for my Heavenly Father who has given me everything and now I get to feel the love that He has for His children. I love the Gospel so much and it truly has blessed my life more than anything else. 

Love you!!

-Hermana Aburto

Calilis, you will be such an awesome District Leader!! Being a leader is such a great opportunity to serve your fellow missionaries and to love them!! You will do so great!

K'mouse!!!


So the sister in this picture is Hna Villareal, and she is seriously the best ward missionary ever. She is always willing to go out with us, and she's given so many referrals. She is fearless!!