My mental health blog

PLEASE VISIT MY CURRENT BLOG ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

iwillhealthee.blogspot.com

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Second week at the MTC

September 19th, 2015

Dear family,

Since I am traveling on Monday I get to write to you today!

When we arrive at the airport on Monday, we get to call our families. I will call you, but it will most likely be pretty early in the morning (I'm guessing around 6 or 7). Sorry about that haha. I will be the travel leader for the group of 25 who are going to Modesto. Please pray for me because I have no idea how I am going to lead all those people.

Since I knew I would only be at the MTC for one Tuesday, and General Authorities come on Tuesdays for the devotional, I was really hoping it would be one of my favorite GA's. As you know, the speaker could not have been a better person! Sister Rosemary Wixom!! I wanted to cry. That was a sign that I have come to serve at the precisely correct time in my life. She spoke with such love and I especially loved the following that she said: She defined the word "mission": an important purpose accompanied with strong conviction. She said that in the Book of Mormon, Nephi, Laman, Lemuel, and Sam were missionaries when they went back to Jerusalem. They each had different experiences which had affected their roles for the rest of their lives. She said that we can control the level of our conviction while we are on our missions. Nephi was familiar with the Spirit. Sister Wixom said that the more we follow the Holy Spirit, the more we recognize it, and the more we are prompted. Brother Wixom also spoke for a few minutes at the beginning. He shared an experience that he had on the mission field. It was an experience that he regretted; he had neglected the opportunity to testify to someone, and he still regrets it to this day. So I learned that I should not come home with regrets. To close the meeting, we sang "We'll Bring the World His Truth" but the lyrics were changed. Instead of singing We will be the Lord's missionaries it was changed to We are now the Lord's missionaries. That really touched me. I can't believe I'm here.

In the MTC there's this thing called TRC which is where you teach an "investigator." Some of these investigators are people who are members of the Church, but others are NOT members. They don't tell us who's really a member and who's not, so that we don't freak out. So anyways, in TRC my companion and I taught this man named Jose. He is super sweet and he is from Guatemala, so my companion and I were able to connect with him through that similarity. He told us he wants to know how to see his deceased mother again. So during our lesson on the plan of salvation, we used the Primary symbols that Mami made for me (thanks Mami!) and we taught him about the spirit world and told him his mother is there, learning about the gospel. We told him that her baptismal ordinances can be performed in the temple so that she too may be saved. We told him that baptism is the gate to enter the path towards eternal life, where familes can live together forever. So then I asked him if he would be baptized, and he said yes! We taught him a total of 3 times, and for some reason, we touched his heart profoundly during the 2nd and 3rd time. He would cry and thank us for our message. It was the Spirit that touched him. We would ask him to say the closing prayer and he would offer the most beautiful prayers, which I wish I could remember. Whether he is truly a member or not, it does not matter to me because we were able to help him feel the power of our message and feel the Holy Ghost testify that what we were teaching is true.

It's crazy how much I have learned in just over a week. I will be a completely different person by the time I come back home because my knowledge will have increased by 1000%. That is not a typo. One-thousand percent. I am already sure of that.

Here at the MTC they encourage us to read our Patriarchal Blessings often, because we will witness a lot of our promises come true during the mission. That is so awesome!!

I saw a clip from Elder Ballard which applies to Calilis, and I suppose it applies to me as well. He said that people say that European missions do not have many baptisms. Elder Ballard said something like, "I wish to sweep that from your minds. Your preparation, obedience, and capacity as a teacher is directly correlated to your ability to baptize."

Today we saw a clip called "Missionary Work and the Atonement" which was super good. In the video Elder Holland said that missionaries often ask "Why is this so hard?" Elder Holland says that missionary work is not easy because salvation was never easy. Salvation was never a cheap experience. It was never easy for the Savior. How can we understand the Atonement if we've never experienced even a little of the pain He felt. We, as missionaries and investigators, have to pay a token of that same price that He paid. Missionaries are not the first to ask this question, "Why is this so hard?" The Savior Himself asked to "Let this cup pass from me." I know my mission will be hard, but I am excited and grateful to help the Savior hasten His work.

Calilis, can you make sure that all of the pictures on my phone camera were saved to my laptop? I didn't check to make sure they were all saved, and I had pictures from the Payson and Jordan River temples, and from New York, and of the mother duck and her ducklings at BYU, and of my Tulita, and other pics that I want to keep forever.

Mami and Papi, sometime it would be nice if you would send me copies of your stories which I can use as anecdotes. For example, Mami you can tell about your experience with gaining a testimony of tithing, and Papi can share how the Book of Mormon helped him come back to the Church after years of being inactive. You don't have to do it right away, but whenever you have time you can write me a paragraph or something. Also, you should feel free to tell me what you've learned from scripture study or whatever else you are studying since everything will have a different "flavor" now that there will be two missionaries in our family.

I love this gospel and I know it to be true. I really cannot wait to leave on Monday and go to Modesto.

I miss you and I love you! When you told me that you are using my "Incredi-girl" T-shirt on my spot at the dinner table, that made me cry. I hope you are doing OK!

Sincerely,

Hermana Aburto

 19 de septiembre de 2015


Querida familia:

Como el lunes voy a viajar, hoy puedo escribirles nuevamente.

Cuando lleguemos al aeropuerto el lunes cada quien podrá llamar a su familia. Así que los voy a llamar, pero lo más probable es que sea muy temprano, me imagino que como a las 6 o 7 de la mañana. Me van a tener que disculpar. Voy a ser la líder del viaje del grupo de 25 que vamos a Modesto. Oren por mí porque no tengo ni idea de cómo le voy a hacer para ser la líder de todos esos misioneros.

Yo ya sabía que solo iba a estar un martes aquí en el CCM y los martes siempre hay un devocional con una Autoridad General. Así que deseaba con el alma que viniera una de mis Autoridades favoritas y, como sabrán, ¡no podría haber sido una persona mejor! ¡La hermana Rosemary Wixom! Tenía ganas de llorar cuando me enteré. Fue como una señal de que he venido a servir en el momento preciso de mi vida. Nos habló con tanto amor y sobre todo me encantó esto que dijo: Dio una definición de la palabra “misión”, la cual es: un objetivo importante que va acompañado de una firme convicción. Dijo que en el Libro de Mormón, Nefi, Lamán, Lemuel y Sam fueron como misioneros cuando tuvieron que regresar a Jerusalén. Cada uno de ellos tuvo una experiencia distinta que marcó su vida para siempre. Dijo que uno puede controlar el grado de convicción con el que sirve en la misión. Nefi llegó a conocer al Espíritu. La hermana Wixom dijo que mientras más seguimos al Espíritu Santo, más lo reconocemos y más escuchamos sus susurros. El hermano Wixom también habló unos minutos al principio. Nos contó una experiencia que tuvo en su misión. Se trata de una experiencia la cual lamentó, ya que desperdició una oportunidad que tuvo de testificarle a una persona y hasta el día de hoy se lamenta de ello. Lo que aprendí es que no debo regresar de la misión con cosas que lamentarme. Para terminar la reunión, cantamos “Llevaremos Su verdad al mundo”, pero con un cambio en la letra. En lugar de: Seremos misioneros del Señor, dijimos: Ya somos misioneros del Señor. Eso me llegó mucho, aún no me la creo que estoy aquí.

En el CCM tenemos sesiones en las que enseñamos a “investigadores”. Algunos son miembros de la Iglesia, pero otros NO. Nosotros no sabemos si la persona a la que enseñamos es miembro o no, es algo que se hace para que no nos dé temor. La cosa es que mi compañera y yo le enseñamos a un señor que se llama José. Es un tipo muy bueno y es de Guatemala, así que mi compañera y yo nos pudimos identificar con él con cierta facilidad. Nos dijo que quería saber si había manera de volver a ver a su mamá que falleció. Durante la lección que le dimos sobre el Plan de Salvación pude usar las laminitas que mami me preparó (¡gracias mami!), le hablamos del mundo de los espíritus y le dijimos que su mamá se encuentra en ese lugar, escuchando el Evangelio. Le dijimos que en el templo se puede efectuar la ordenanza del bautismo en favor de su mamá para que ella también reciba la salvación. También que el bautismo es la puerta que nos lleva a la vida eterna donde las familias pueden vivir para siempre. Luego le preguntamos si estaría dispuesto a bautizarse y dijo que sí. Le enseñamos un total de tres veces y, por alguna razón, le tocamos el corazón en la segunda y la tercera. Se puso a llorar y nos agradeció el mensaje. Fue el Espíritu el que lo tocó. Le pedimos que ofreciera la oración y hacía unas oraciones muy bonitas que ojalá pudiera recordar. No supimos si era miembro o no, pero no importa, porque sí le pudimos ayudar a sentir el poder de nuestro mensaje y el testimonio del Espíritu Santo de que el mensaje es verdadero.

Es una barbaridad todo lo que he aprendido en solo poco más de una semana. Para cuando regrese seré una persona totalmente distinta, porque mi conocimiento habrá aumentado un 1000%. No es un error, puse mil por ciento. De eso estoy segura.

En el CCM nos invitan a leer seguido nuestra bendición patriarcal, porque en la misión uno puede ver cómo se cumplen muchas de las promesas que en ella se nos hacen. ¡Qué buena onda!

Vi un video del élder Ballard que le puede servir a Carlitos, pero supongo que a mí también. El élder dice que se habla por ahí que en las misiones de Europa no se tienen muchos bautismos. Pero el élder dice algo así como: “Quisiera que se quitaran esa idea de la cabeza. Su preparación, obediencia y capacidad para enseñar se relacionan directamente con su capacidad para bautizar”.
Hoy vimos un video que se llama “La obra misional y la Expiación”, y el cual está buenísimo. En él, el élder Holland dice que los misioneros a menudo se preguntan: “¿por qué es tan difícil la obra?”. Luego dice que la obra misional no es fácil porque la salvación nunca ha sido fácil. La salvación no es una experiencia barata. Para el Salvador no fue fácil. ¿Cómo podríamos entender la Expiación si nunca sintiéramos por lo menos un poco del dolor que Él sufrió? Nosotros, como misioneros e investigadores, tenemos que pagar una parte de ese precio que Él pagó. Los misioneros no son los primeros que preguntan: “¿Por qué es tan difícil?”. El Salvador Mismo dijo: “Pase de mí esta copa”. Sé que la misión será difícil, pero siento emoción y gratitud de poder ayudar al Salvador a apresurar Su obra.

Les pido que se sientan con la libertad de contarme lo que aprendan de las Escrituras o de cualquier cosa que lean, ya que ahora todo tendrá un “sabor” distinto teniendo a dos misioneros en la familia.

Amo este Evangelio y sé que es verdadero. Ya me muero porque sea lunes y me vaya a Modesto.

¡Los extraño y los quiero! Me puse a llorar cuando leí que pusieron mi playera que dice “Incredi-girl” en mi lugar de la mesa del comedor. ¡Espero que estén bien!

Afectuosamente,

Hermana Aburto